Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 5- Visiting a new place


I was amazed to find a place that I have never been to in the Reno-Sparks area after living here for more than 10 years.

Day 5- Today was the first time I visited the Sparks Museum. Going there also gave me the opportunity of another first. We were allowed on their locomotive, caboose, and executive train car.

Today we had the luck of going with friends. When we arrived we were the only people there so the conductor asked if we would like a tour of the museum. He allowed the kids, 4 girls and 1 boy, to touch some of the things on exhibit and basically run wild enjoying themselves. I learned so much about what our area was like back in the early 1900s. It was very interesting and I was surprised to find I knew where little about the history here.

Then the real fun began, when he took us across the street to the outdoor exhibit. He unlocked the gate and invited us in to where the train cars are on display.

 

He punched our tickets and yelled, "All abroad!" We all climbed up the steps and entered the executive train car. It was beautiful! A little too fancy for our kids so we then walked on through to the 1940 caboose. I have never been in a caboose and I think I was just as excited as the kids. He told us we could climb up the ladders and sit above where the workers would kick back. Immediately, we were all up there enjoying the view and taking pictures.


 













Then on to the locomotive. He allowed us to play with everything! Of course, I was right there with the kids wanting to pull the levers and turn the knobs. We lasted over an hour before heading out.

I can't believe this museum and exhibits have been here in my backyard all this time and I never knew about it. I'm so glad this was my "first" today. Definitely not my last time.


No comments:

Post a Comment