Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 19- I could breathe fire!

I wanted to try a drink that was grown-up and sophisticated. I ended up feeling like a dragon that could breathe fire.

Day 19- Today was the first time I had a real martini. I once had an apple martini but that doesn't really count as it was so fruity and sweet. I wanted a real one like they drink in the movies. I could just picture it. Me sitting at the bar looking all classy with a nice dress and my hair looking beautiful while sipping on a martini in a tall glass. It would be perfect.
Reality was me sitting at a table with my friend, Ada, after a long day with the kids. I had on jeans and an old sweatshirt, my hair pulled back in a ponytail messily while wearing no make-up. Not exactly how I pictured the situation.

The waitress came over and of course, I had to tell her all about my "first" project. She thought it was a cool idea. She was excited for me to try my first martini. Then I found out there are variables to martinis. Who knew? Not I. I had the choice of vodka or gin. I asked, "What do most people have?" she told me it was about equal. Well that didn't help. I ended up picking gin for the mere reason that I like the card game, Gin Rummy. Then she asked, "Do you want it on the rocks or up?" My reply was, "Up? Up like in a tall glass?" So I ordered a classic gin martini up. When it arrived it had 2 gigantic olives in it or as I called it 'olive balls.' Yes, I've never had olives either so tonight I was going to experience 2 new firsts.

Ada was laughing ready to take a picture as I sipped my first martini. I wanted to make sure she got it so I took a huge swig. Wow! That is all alcohol. I breathed imaginary fire at Ada sounding like a hoarse dragon. That stuff could catch on fire. I have no idea how people can drink it and look normal like they are not in pain. Then came the olives. I bit into one and the juices exploded into my mouth. I had enough! No thank you. We ordered a bottle of Pinot and drank the whole thing. It was just what this tired mom in jeans needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment