Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 29- The kids and I tried a new green thing.

Tonight Dan went to the grocery store and I couldn't believe what I was about to text him. I needed him to pick me up something so I could try it tonight for a first. I think he was shocked when he received the text so his response back was 'okay.'

At dinner, he asked if I was ready to try it. The girls wanted to know what it was. He opened the fridge and pulled out a jar of pickles. Just the sight of them made my stomach turned. I don't even know what pickles are! Are they considered a vegetable? How do they grow? Why are they so gross smelling and slimy? These questions had to wait as I was about to try it no matter what.

The girls wanted to try it to. Dan told our four year old that she has already tried them. What? When? I would never have given her a pickle. He must have made her try one when I wasn't around. Of course, she argued with him that she has never had one and she wanted to try one now. Dan handed out 3 pickles to all of us girls at the table.

 I made my two year old try it first. I know that is horrible as a mom to make my kid go first but she is brave. I figured if she could do it then I would have to do it next. She bit into it and chomped away like it was a delicious apple. One kid down and another to go.

 
My four year old picked her pickle up and bit into it. Her facial expression was straight from my book. I could tell that she didn't like it and I would be looking like that in a minute also. She shook her head and spit it out. She looked at her dad and told him, "I told you I didn't like pickles!" He would never win with her.

I picked up my pickle and tried not to smell it as that is what always gets me with these new foods. I joked around with it trying to psych myself up. I closed my eyes and bit into it. The texture is what got me grossed out before the taste even hit my tongue. I shook my head and spit it into my napkin acting just like my four year old. Dan wasn't surprised that his picky eating wife didn't like pickles. He was happy that I tried it and now he has a whole jar of pickles to himself. Unless our four year decides to try it again for the first time. He doesn't have to worry about me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment