Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 16- What the hell do I do with this?

This whole project is about broadening my horizons, trying something outside of my comfort zone, and learning from these new experiences. Check, check, and check!

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I'm not a fish person. I like looking at fish and having them for pets but not to eat. The only fish I have ever liked is the fried fish at the Peotone Fish Fry. As a kid, I loved going to the fish fry! We would eat some fish then go play with the other kids on the cannon out front. It was awesome every time and is still one of my favorite memories of growing up in Peotone.

As an adult, I have not found a fish that I love to eat but I have tried some that aren't so bad. My poor husband never gets to have fish for dinner at home. Who would eat it with him? Not I. Since I have been cooking the dinners lately, he has absolutely no chance at all of a fish being on his plate.

Day 16- Today I cooked fish for the first time! I found a recipe for oven baked salmon with a marinade that sounded easy. All the reviews were glowing and said it was perfect for beginners. I'm a beginner. This must be for me. I decided to forge ahead and try it.

I took the girls to the store and went to the fish counter for the first time. It must have been obvious to the fish guy. I told him I had never cooked fish before and it looked like I had slapped him across the face with one. I stated I had a recipe but didn't know what I was doing. That was clear. I told him I needed 2 six ounce fillets of salmon. He told me that it might be hard to find that exact amount. I responded, "But that's what the recipe says to get." He chuckled and dug through all the fish until he found me 2 fillets that met my weight requirement. He was nice to humor me. Then I saw it. It still had the skin on the bottom side. I asked him about it and he told me I could cut it off. What!? I have to do that? This was more than I bargained for. I took the fish and left.


When I got home, I attempted to take the skin off. It was hard the first time but by the second fillet it was one easy slice. I made a marinade, covered the fish in it, and stuck it in the fridge. When Dan arrived home, the girls distracted him so I could wrap the fish in foil and stick it in the oven. He tried to guess what I was making but fish would never cross his mind. We finally told him and he was shocked!



When the fish came out of the oven, he was right there tasting and tasting and tasting. It was a success! I did it and I did it well. The girls were crying out, "Don't eat all the fish. I want fish, too!" Everyone ate it and loved it. Everyone but me. I ate a little but the thought of me handling it raw, and taking the skin off made it a little less appetizing. Dan had seconds and so did I. Mine just happened to be potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment