Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 22- Quiet doesn't mean it is better.

Constant noise while the kids are running around is a typical day for a stay at home mom. The mom has to make lunch and never has a chance to sit down and eat with them as the children request one thing after another. It is like being a waitress minus the pay and tip. I remember loving lunch time at work even if some days I had less than a half hour and worked while I ate. At least it was quiet.

I thought today's first will be great.

Day 22- Today is the first time I have eaten a meal alone at a restaurant. I went to Moxie's and sat down, immediately feeling uneasy. The busboy came over and asked me how many. "Just me." He must think I'm a loser with no friends. Then I noticed others eating by themselves and felt better. The only difference was that I was sitting alone at a table and the rest of the singles were at the bar eating and gambling.

The overworked, very busy waitress came over and took my order as quick as could be. No time to chat. This would be a long lunch. I ordered a glass of red wine to help me get over this fear of being alone. It didn't help. I was antsy and felt awkward. Thank goodness my food arrived quickly. It was delicious! I devoured it in no time since my mouth had no one to talk to. The waitress finally checked on me and I told her what I was doing. She laughed and took a picture of me sadly eating by myself.

As I was waiting for my bill, two of my friends walked in and came directly to my table to talk. I yelled at them, "I'm having a first! Eating alone." They didn't want to blow my first for me so they sat down at another table. As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to them and realized I have never been so happy to see people I knew.
The food was delicious. The wine hit the spot. The quiet was slowly killing me. I would much rather be eating with my kids having a loud, silly conversation. Even if I'm their waitress.

No comments:

Post a Comment