Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 28- A new place for my birthday.

A busy weekend packed with friends, adventures, and excitement has taken a toll on my body. I'm tired, sore, and just need to relax. Dan and I dropped the kids off at school and decided we would have a nice, relaxing day.

We went to lunch and then headed out to the historic Steamboat Hot Springs. I have heard about it but neither Dan nor I have ever been. This would be great! We were looking forward to going and seeing what it was all about.

We drove out there and there it was. A group of small buildings off of the road with the main one looking like a mission. It was so neat. I felt like I going back in time. We pulled in and the staff welcomed us. They were so friendly and gave us a ton of interesting information. This place is a historical site and was a healing spa in the 1920's but the spring waters have been used by natives as far back as the early 1800's.

We were given a tour as our private tub room was being prepared for us. They had a steam room and outdoor tub for us that we could use. If we wanted any treatments, there were rooms for that also. I had no idea until I arrived but we could have gotten a couple's massage! I guess we will have to go back for that.

We were led into our room where there was a shower and a huge, deep, tile tub that fits 2 people comfortably. The water was flowing in. The woman warned us that the volcanic mineral water was extremely hot. When the water reaches the surface it is about 220 degrees Fahrenheit. They have to pump it into a cooling tank. This allows the water to cool off a bit and let the mineral, healing waters come out both the cold and hot faucets when filling the tub. She told us if we refill the tub to always start with cold since the hot alone could scald us.

We jumped in the tub and began to relax. It was very peaceful. I wanted to try the outdoor tub also so I talked Dan into it. It was about 25 degrees outside when we walked out in our bathing suits to jump in the tub. As we sat in the tub, a group of ducks flew into the yard next to us. They quacked at us like we were crazy to come outside but it was invigorating being in a hot tub in the cold air looking at the surrounding mountains. It was so completely relaxing.

After an hour it was time for us to leave. When we arrived home, my body was so relaxed I felt like a noodle. Dan told me he was too relaxed. How can someone be too relaxed? There is no such thing! Even though Dan is not a tub person nor does he enjoy the spa like I do, we had a wonderful time. I couldn't have asked for a nicer birthday.

www.steamboatsprings.org

This is out front of the spa. You can see the steam rising as the water runs down in a creek by the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment