Friday, January 18, 2013

Day 18- I can't answer. Leave a message.

For someone like me, today was extremely hard.

Day 18- Today is the first day I did not talk on the phone. Dan said that's not really true if I think back to being a kid. But I cannot think of a day I have not talked on the phone at least once since I was 11 or 12. I love talking on the phone almost as much as I love talking in general.

Today was hard since the kids had a play date today and I was just hoping it was still on. It was, thank God! Otherwise we would have been sitting at the library twiddling our thumbs waiting for the play date to arrive.

The real problem today was that I scheduled a few of my 2 year old's friends to come to the house tomorrow for a play date. I had heard back from all but one. I just knew that the mom was going to call today to let me know if they were coming. I thought of letting my four year old answer the phone but you never know what she is going to say. Sometimes she talks, other times she giggles, and a few times she has just hung up on people. I couldn't let this happen. This is a mom I don't know very well and we have never had a play date. What was I going to do if she called?

Dan arrived home and I told him my first. He thought I was absolutley crazy and that I should have told him. He brought up the point of what if he called from work and I never answered. He would be really worried. I would have let Aisling answer that call.

All of a sudden the phone rang and it was the mom. I told Dan to answer it and talk to her. He refused. I just stood there looking at the phone not knowing what to do. It stopped ringing. How was I suppose to know if they were coming? She doesn't even know my address. This was becoming a mess. The phone rang again. It was her! I begged Dan to answer the phone and talk to her. He reluctunly answered. The first thing I heard him say to her, "She can't talk. She's doing this year of firsts and her crazy idea today is to not talk on the phone." Great! Now she thinks I'm a nut case. She probably will never let her daughter play with my daughter. He finished the awkward conversation and shook his head at me. The play date was cancelled and the mom will talk to me later when I can talk.

I never realized how much I relied on talking on the phone. Or how much I love it. I will be calling someone at 12:01am. Sorry if you are the one I wake but it is an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment