Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 34- Butter is better!

Growing up in the Midwest, I always ate sandwiches with butter on it. It didn't matter if it was turkey, ham, or salami, it had to have butter on the bread. That was the way I was raised. I remember eating at my friend, Nicole's house. She didn't have any lunch meat so we just had cheese and butter sandwiches. It was delicious.

Then I moved out west where they do things a little different. I remember when Dan and I moved in together. I wanted to be the good little girlfriend so I made him lunch for work the next day. I was so proud of myself. When Dan came home the next day, he didn't say much about his lunch. I asked him if he would like me to make his lunch again for the next day. He politely told me no. Finally, he confessed that the sandwich I made him was gross. What? Why? What was wrong with it? He then informed me that he has never had a sandwich with butter on the bread. Most people use mayonnaise. I thought he must be joking. It was no joke. That is when I found out most people around here are not like me. It is also when my hatred of mayonnaise grew deeper.

Here I am a decade later, deciding that my first today will be to try mayonnaise. I told Dan that I was going to put mayo on bread and eat it. "You can't do that!" I wanted to know why I couldn't. He told me it had to be on a sandwich, not just plain on bread. I argued that you could do that with butter, so butter must be better. After a few minutes of debating this, we agreed to disagree.

So now I had to make a sandwich with mayo. Dan informed me that usually people put other things on it also like mustard, lettuce, or tomato. Let's not get carried away here! I only eat plain sandwiches so I was not willing to go overboard with all kinds of crazy things added to my sandwich. I looked in the fridge. All we had was salami. I love salami and butter sandwiches so let me try it with mayo. Dan did not think this was a good representation of mayo.


I made my sandwich very carefully as to not get any mayo on my fingers or I might just flip out. I know I was about to eat it but I couldn't get it on my fingers. That's just gross. I bit into the sandwich. Not bad. I took a few more bites. Still didn't hate it. Who would have ever guessed that I would possible like mayo? Certainly not me.

Of course, I still prefer butter on my sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment